Our Parish incorporates the ancient villages of Hesketh and Becconsall, the whole area now being known as Hesketh Bank. The Parish stretches from "Hundred End" in the south west, where it adjoins the Parish of North Meols, to the Parish of Tarleton in the South. "Hundred End" refers to the ancient boundary of the Leyland and West Derby Hundreds. Until fairly recently, the boundary was marked with a huge bolder known as the Snotter Stone
The northerly side of the Parish is bounded by the estuary of the River Ribble whilst to the east is the River Douglas, here seen looking north
Both the villages have seen significant change in the landscape as reclamation of the Ribble marshes has progressed further northwards. The name Hesketh is Danish meaning a landing place whilst Becconsall means Beacons Hill from the mound which was built to defend the fords over the river. Here we see Becconsall Old Church which was built in 1765 although a church has existed on the site since at least the 16th century.
The earliest reference to the village of Hesketh is in the 13th century with agriculture being the main occupation for many centuries. During the 1700's sea going ships started to use the Douglas where coal, bricks and slates were transfered from barges. In the 19th century Irish labourers worked on reclaiming large areas of marshland from the sea, prior to which the two villages had been situated right on the Ribble estuary.
Looking upstream on the Douglas towards Tarleton and the Leeds Liverpool Canal. Here for many years boats moored at the old Brick Works to take on cargo. Larger sea going vessels could only navigate the Douglas on the fortnightly spring tides. A local writer of the time, the Rev'd W T Bulpit describes the scene "When they set sail, they did so in such numbers that they were like a fleet of His Majesty's Ships when they put to sea." The current 'Local Plan' sees this area along the westerly bank of the Douglas becoming a 'Linear Park' as far as Tarleton lock.
Today, Hesketh Bank has a population approaching 4,000, as several modern estates and infill housing has been built. In common elsewhere, the old infrastructure struggles to cope with the additional traffic and the call on the utility services.
If you have any concerns, questions or suggestions about the village, please email the Parish Clerk or any of the Councillors.